In a move that has sent shockwaves through the Indian stock market, Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Ltd. (ABFRL) has acquired a majority stake in TCNS Clothing Co. Pvt. Ltd., the owner of popular women’s clothing brands such as W and Aurelia. The acquisition has triggered a massive sell-off of TCNS Clothing’s shares, causing them to plummet by 19%. The move is seen as a strategic decision by ABFRL to expand its portfolio of women’s clothing brands and cement its position as a major player in the Indian fashion industry.


TCNS Clothing Co. Pvt. Ltd. is a leading manufacturer and retailer of women’s ethnic wear in India. It owns several popular clothing brands such as W, Aurelia, and Wishful, which cater to a wide range of customers with their extensive collections of sarees, salwar suits, kurtis, and other traditional wear. The company has been growing steadily in recent years, with a revenue of INR 1,157 crores ($157 million) in the fiscal year 2021.

Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Ltd. (ABFRL) is a subsidiary of the Aditya Birla Group, one of India’s largest conglomerates. ABFRL is a leading player in the Indian fashion industry, with a portfolio of popular brands such as Louis Philippe, Van Heusen, Allen Solly, and Peter England. The company operates over 3,000 stores across India and has a strong online presence.

Acquisition Details

The acquisition of TCNS Clothing by ABFRL involves the purchase of a 51% stake in the company for INR 588.8 crores ($80 million). The remaining 49% stake will be held by TCNS Clothing’s existing shareholders. The deal is subject to regulatory approvals and is expected to be completed by the end of September 2021.

Impact on Stock Market

The news of the acquisition has caused a sharp decline in TCNS Clothing’s stock prices, which fell by 19% on the day of the announcement. Investors drove the sell-off due to concerns about the valuation of the company and the potential impact of the acquisition on its future growth prospects.The stock price of ABFRL, on the other hand, rose by 2.6% on the same day, also reflecting the positive market sentiment towards the company’s expansion plans.

Market Reaction

Industry experts and market analysts have had mixed reactions to the acquisition.Others have raised concerns about the high valuation of TCNS Clothing and the challenges of integrating the two companies. The acquisition has raised concerns among some analysts, who believe that it may dilute ABFRL’s brand image.


The acquisition of TCNS Clothing by ABFRL is a significant development. In the Indian fashion industry, with far-reaching implications for the future of both companies. ABFRL’s strategic decision to acquire a majority stake in TCNS Clothing reflects. The company’s ambition to consolidate its position as a major player. In the Indian fashion industry and expand its portfolio of women’s clothing brands. The success of the acquisition will depend on ABFRL’s ability. To effectively integrate TCNS Clothing into its operations. Leverage its existing strengths to drive growth in the highly competitive Indian market.